My life is often brimming with motion and noise. Quietude is found only in rare moments amid the bustle of family life at home and in the hallways of the large high school where I teach. Back in April, I was challenged by a Lenten devotional I was reading to fast sound. I never realized how full of sound my life really is. Everywhere I go, voices and noises consume my head space. Thinking it would be beneficial to focus on God during a time of quiet, I purposed to sit for ten minutes and reflect on His attributes in my journal. As often as I hurriedly make and check my “To Do” list, it seemed like I needed to be still and make a “To Love” list about my Heavenly Father.
I began to silently journal my thoughts about God and who He is in my life. I realized by the end of those ten minutes that I’d written down ten things about Him. I’ll share them here, along with verses I’ve added to complement each. By the end of my session of silent reflection, I was moved to tears when I contemplated the goodness of my God. Undoubtedly, this was silence well spent. I hope you’ll meditate on these traits of the Lord and be moved to gratitude also. Our God, the God of all the universe, wants you to know Him, love Him and trust Him.
- YOU ARE LOVING – Jesus died for me because of His great love. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. -John 15:13
- YOU ARE KIND – You are tender towards me, never wrathful. Because Your loving-kindness is better than life, My lips will praise You. -Psalm 63:3
- YOU ARE FORGIVING – You’ve cast my sin into a sea of forgetfulness. Once again You will have compassion on us. You will trample our sins under Your feet and throw them into the depths of the ocean! -Micah 7:19
- YOU ARE MY PROVIDER – I have all I need in You. The spiritual, emotional and physical needs of life are given by You. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:19
- YOU ARE MY CHAMPION – You are for me, not against me. What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? -Romans 8:31
- YOU ARE MY PEACE – No matter the situation, You comfort me and keep me at peace. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:7
- YOU HAVE CHOSEN AND APPOINTED ME – You have a plan and a purpose for my life. Show me what it is Lord. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11
- YOU HAVE CALLED ME YOUR OWN – I am forever Yours. I belong to you and cannot be snatched from Your hand. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. -Romans 8:38-39
YOU ARE SOVEREIGN – You are Lord of all and are in control of all things. The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all. -Psalm 103:19
- YOU ARE STEADFAST – You do not change. Age to age You are the same. Reliable and trustworthy is Your name. “For I, the LORD, do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.” -Malachi 3:6
I encourage you to choose one of these and quietly meditate on it. Think of the ways God has specifically and individually manifested Himself in your life as you think of the attribute you’ve chosen. Your Heavenly Father’s deep and abiding love for you cannot be described in a single attribute. Even these ten don’t begin to capture the magnitude of who He is. We are simply unable to fully fathom the breadth and depth of His character, but each day as we seek, reflect, and pray, He reveals yet another glimpse of His glory to us. All praise and honor to my great big God who knows my name and cares for me.